Thursday, December 29, 2011

Animal lover or just plain crazy?

I know, I have been a very bad blogger, but I was having such a good time on holiday with all my family that I did not even open my laptop the whole time we were there! Hope everybody's Christmas was as magical as mine. I will be posting a lot of photo's and family stories in the next few days, but while I was editing the holiday photo's I found these and started wondering about this girl.
She is my baby, Anke. The one who starts to cry when she sees roadkill. The one who makes her boyfriend stop on the Highway to save a dog. The one who nursed an almost dead baby bird back to life, taught it to fly and set it free when she was 12 and the vet said that wild birds can not be saved when they had fallen out of the nest.

These photo's were taken the day before we came home from holiday. It was pouring. Hail as big as bird's eggs and lightning (Whats up with that? I thought you do not get lightning in the Cape?!) The people staying accross from us had dogs, lots and lots of dogs! They were running wild, tearing the dustbin bags and being a really big irritation. Their house looked really run down, grass growing up to my knees, fence patched with odd pieces of wood and Ankie discovered behind the wall (she had to look when she heard them cry:) ) a LOT of puppies. She said at least 4 litters of different ages!

When it started raining, we heard the puppies crying and that set Ankie off. Within minutes she was sobbing, worrying about the poor puppies, out in the rain, crying and obviously in distress. Eventually she convinced her boyfriend to run accross the street with her and look to see of they were OK. She looked over the wall and saw some puppies floating in a puddle of water. Then there was no stopping her, she was over that wall in a flash and got the pups out of the rain and to the safety of their kennel. The people inside the house did not even look to see why the dogs were crying like that!

When she finally got back, she (and poor Darryl) were soaked to the bone. She then phoned the SPCA and asked them to please go and rescue the puppies. They did go out the next day, but phoned her and said that the dogs were OK and that they gave the owners a warning about the living conditions of the dogs. This morning her status on Fb is - Hope the puppies are safe!

Now this got me wondering. Is she mad? or just an animal lover in the extreme? I don't know which one it is, I just know I love this girl for caring so much about those that can not fend for themselves.

Have a great week everybody, I might be back a little later with some more holiday stories if you would like to hear them.

13 comments:

  1. She is a wonderful animal lover and it is because of people like her that some owners are reminded of their responsibility. Wishing you a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has a tender heart - thank goodness there are people like her in the world :) I'm not impressed with the response of the SPCA though, would have thought they'd remove the puppies out of harm's way. Good for Anke...
    Wishing her and you all the very best for 2012,
    LLJ #34 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, she's not mad, just a REAL human being- the sort that cares about ALL creatures. We need a lot more like her. She is a truly beautiful person- inside & out. You must be extremely proud of her.I hope you had a great Christmas, and have a very Happy New Year, love Shaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is definitely not mad, but just the kind of caring person we need many more of. Too many people look but never do anything. Your daughter is not only caring but courageous - a wonderful combination. Happy New Year to you and all your family, filled with good health, happiness and fun. xx Maggie #49

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a carer and a nurturer...and I think she will feel very much the same toward people and little children.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are blessed to have such a compassionate daughter. She's not "mad" at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, loving, caring daughter you have I wish they were more like her in the world x x she's not mad, she's AMAZING, x x x Happy 2012, Hugs May x x x a Big hug to Anke x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh she's a special one, alright, how caring and amazing she is. And how super lovely is Darryl to totally accept her sudden need to be rescuing and checking. More stories, for sure, please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She reminds me of my sister Tina who saves animals too! She saved a baby bird and taught it to fly and then set it free! We called it Squirt and for a while it came to work with us in our family business. Ankle has a good heart like my sister Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness me, she is a hero in my eyes. The world needs people like her. Admirable, not crazy.
    You are a lucky woman! I hope my daughter grows up to be just as caring.
    Happy 2012!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great story!! she is a hero,yes!! one with a very big heart:) thanks for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great moment which you share above. I impressed by that. Great moment which you share above.

      Delete
  12. I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any
    interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
    In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be
    much more useful than ever before.
    My webpage > dog walker 77386

    ReplyDelete