Sunday, September 13, 2009

Has it been 10 days already?

I can't believe it has been 10 days since my last post! So much has happened in my life that I don't know where to begin.
Maybe I should start where I left off. My words are slowly but surely coming back to me. At least I am not sitting, staring into space not knowing what to say any more. When it happened, I did not know what hit me - how could I have nothing to say? Me? who never stops talking? I think I was right, when I said that it was God's way, but not for the reason I thought. God was trying to get me to shut up for a few minutes so that I could hear Him when I needed to.
Last Friday Ankie came to get petrol money from me after school, before she left to coach her Water Polo team in Fourways. She knew that I would be busy untill at least 3 o'clock with my weekly SRC meeting, so when the phone rang at 14h15 and I saw it was her, I knew that it had to be serious, because she would never phone me in the middle of a meeting. When I answered, I could not make out anything she said, she was hysterical. So many things went through my mind. Was she smashed and grabbed - again!, for the third time? Was she attacked, Hi-jacked or worse? (You know what a mother's heart is like) It took me a few minutes (it could have been seconds, but it felt like hours) to calm her down enough to hear that she had been involved in a four car pile-up on the highway.
What a relief! She was OK, the car wasn't, but who cares? My child was OK!!! The next problem was, how do I get to her to help? DH works a lot closer than where I was, so I phoned him and off he went to rescue her. Agonising minutes (hours?) untill he finally got to her. Poor man, got stuck in traffic (caused by her), and he is not the most patient man I know. By then everybody knew. I SMSed all her siblings and they were all ready to jump in their cars to rescue their baby sister.
What does this whole saga have to do with me and my words you ask? Well, because I wasn't busy talking at the speed of white light, I could see and hear God in all this. I knew that there were only a split second between getting a phone call from a hysterical child and getting a phone call from some stranger phoning me to tell me that my child was lying unconcious or dead next to the road. How can I ever thank God enough for protecting my child? How can I ever know why He saved her, because I know for sure that I did not deserve it more than my dear friend that lost her daughter in a car crash 10 years ago, in fact, I am so terribly unworthy, but so very very grateful.
If you have your children around you today, thank God for that and remember to hug them often. Spare a thought for all those parents who were not as lucky as I was, and who had to stand next to an open grave, because they are no less worthy of having their children with them than we are!
A lot more happened in the last ten days, but I won't bore you with the details. Maybe some other day. I have been crafting, but I haven't had time to photograph any of it. Maybe life will slow down to normal speed soon and then you will have to look at everything I made, so enjoy the peace for now, I will be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Tersia...I am so glad that Ankie is fine. I had to smile when I read that you phoned her siblings after it happened. I do the exact same thing...when one of my loved ones are affected by anything I phone all my other loved ones. I need them around me at time of turmoil and trouble.

    ReplyDelete